Muting a participant's audio
There are several ways the audio being sent from one or more participants can be muted by an administrator or a meeting Host:
This is known as being "administratively muted". When a participant's audio has been administratively muted, Pexip Infinity still receives their audio stream but does not add it to the mix being sent to all other participants. This is different to a participant muting their own microphone locally, when the local client or endpoint does not send any audio to Pexip Infinity.
Administrators can also customize Infinity Connect clients so that the microphone is muted locally by default. In these cases, participants are able to subsequently unmute and mute themselves.
Note that low-level, almost imperceptible background noise is added to the audio mix in all conferences. This creates a similar effect to an open mic and gives reassurance that the conference is alive, even if all participants are muted. This background noise is not configurable and cannot be disabled.
Administrators can use the Pexip Infinity Administrator interface to either mute individual participants, or mute all Guest participants.
To use the Pexip Infinity Administrator interface to mute a participant's audio:
- Select the participant. You can do this in two ways:
- Go to and select the participant to mute.
- Go to Virtual Meeting Room or Virtual Auditorium that the participant is in. From the tab, select the participant to mute. and select the
- At the bottom right of the screen, select .
To use the Pexip Infinity Administrator interface to mute the audio from all Guest participants:
- Go to Virtual Meeting Room or Virtual Auditorium. and select the
- At the bottom left of the screen, select .
All Guest participants currently in the conference, and any Guest participants who subsequently join the conference, will be muted. Individual Guest participants can still be unmuted and muted by a conference Host or system administrator.
You must have Host privileges to use this feature.
Host participants can mute an individual participant, or mute all Guests simultaneously. Note that it does not mute the participant's speakers, so they will still hear all other unmuted participants, but what that muted participant says will not be heard.
When Infinity Connect has been used to mute a participant, the Audio administratively muted? column of the Conference status page of the Pexip Infinity Administrator interface will show YES.
- Participants will not be notified that they have been muted or unmuted, although Infinity Connect participants will see a muted icon next to themselves in the participant list.
- Participants can mute and unmute themselves using Infinity Connect, but only if they have Host privileges.
- An Infinity Connect user can unmute a participant previously muted by another Infinity Connect user.
To use Infinity Connect to mute or unmute an individual participant's audio:
From the Participant list, select the participant and then select or .
When muted, a icon is shown next to the participant's name.
Host participants using Infinity Connect can also use the commands /mute [participant] and /unmute [participant].
To use Infinity Connect to mute the audio coming from all Guest participants:
From the top of the side panel, select Mute all Guests.and then select
Host participants using Infinity Connect can also use the commands /muteall and /unmuteall.
All Guest participants currently in the conference, and any Guest participants who subsequently join the conference, will be muted
If DTMF controls have been enabled, Host participants can mute and unmute all Guest participants. The default DTMF entry to do this is *5 but this may have been customized. For more information, see Using a DTMF keypad to control a conference.