Using the Infinity Connect desktop client
All you need to do to make a call into a Pexip Infinity environment using the Infinity Connect desktop client is install it, enter your name, and then enter the alias of the person or conference you want to call. This guide tells you how to do this, as well as providing information on using all the other available features.
Infinity Connect desktop client version 2.5 was released in February 2017. This guide describes how to use v2.5 of the desktop client with version 14.1 of Pexip Infinity.
In this guide:
- Installing the Infinity Connect desktop client
- Entering your name
- Selecting your camera, microphone and speakers
- Registering your client to receive calls
- Making a call using the Infinity Connect desktop client
- Sharing content
- Using in-call controls
- Participant icons
To install the Infinity Connect desktop client, go to www.pexip.com/software-download and download and install the appropriate file for your OS:
- Windows 32-bit: pexip-infinity-connect_win-ia32_<release>.msi. Click on this file to install the 32-bit Windows version of the Infinity Connect desktop client automatically. During the installation process the Infinity Connect icon will be added to the desktop, and an entry will be added to the Windows registry to allow links prefixed with pexip: to open automatically in the Infinity Connect desktop client.
- Windows 64-bit: pexip-infinity-connect_win-x64_<release>.msi. Click on this file to install the 64-bit Windows version of the Infinity Connect desktop client automatically. During the installation process the Infinity Connect icon will be added to the desktop, and an entry will be added to the Windows registry to allow links prefixed with pexip: to open automatically in the Infinity Connect desktop client.
- OS X: pexip-infinity-connect_osx-x64_<release>.dmg. Open this file and drag the Pexip Infinity Connect.app into the folder.
- Linux 32-bit: pexip-infinity-connect_linux-ia32_<release>.tar.gz. Unzip this file and move it to the desired folder. Run the pexip-infinity-connect application within the folder.
- Linux 64-bit: pexip-infinity-connect_linux-x64_<release>.tar.gz. Unzip this file and move it to the desired folder. Run the pexip-infinity-connect application within the folder.
All you need to do before you can make a call using the Infinity Connect desktop client is provide your name.
When you open Infinity Connect for the first time, you will be presented with a Welcome screen:
Select. This will take you to the Settings screen:
Enter your name as you wish it to appear to other conference participants.
From the Camera, Microphone, and Audio Output device (speakers) you wish to use, and check that they are working as expected.screen, in the section, use the drop-down menus to select the
You will be asked to select and check your microphone, camera and speakers each time you make a call. If you don't want to do this, clear the Show media options when connecting checkbox; the devices you select here will then be used automatically.
To save your settings and return to the home screen, select .
You don't need to register your client to make calls, only to receive them.
To register your Infinity Connect client to receive calls (if this is supported in your deployment):
- Go to the Infinity Connect home screen, select ). screen (from the top right of the
- In the Alias and Password provided to you by your administrator. Be aware that these fields are case-sensitive, and some devices will default to uppercase for the first character of the user name. section of the screen, enter the
- Select Remember password.
- Select .
When you have successfully registered, the button will change to
The notification icon for Infinity Connect will also have a green dot on it: . This dot will change to red if you become unregistered: .
Now, when someone calls your endpoint by dialing the Alias you have registered with, you will get an incoming call alert at the bottom right of your screen showing the name and address of the person or meeting room who is calling you:
To answer, select . You will be connected using the camera and microphone you selected earlier on thescreen.
When an Infinity Connect client is registered, as well as being able to receive calls, the user can filter and lookup the contact details (phone book / directory) of other devices or VMRs that are set up on the Pexip Infinity platform, making it easier to call those devices or VMRs.
To make a call to a conference, or to call another person directly:
Go to the home screen:
Enter the address of the conference you wish to join or the person you wish to call and then select it:
If you have previously made a call, select one of the addresses in the call history list:
If you are registered, you can filter and lookup the contact details of other devices or VMRs that are set up on your Pexip Infinity platform, by typing in part of the address of the person or the name of the VMR you want to call.
By default your call will be placed using your camera and microphone . However, if you hover to the right of the address you can select any one of the following options from the drop-down menu:
- : join with both your camera and microphone activated. You will be able to see and hear other participants, and they will see and hear you. You will also be able to view the roster, send and receive chat messages, and send and receive presentations. If you are a Host, you will have full conference control.
- : join with only your microphone activated. You will be able to hear other participants, and they will hear you. You will also be able to view the roster, send and receive chat messages, send and receive presentations, and (if you are a Host) control the conference. However, you won't be able to see the other participants, and they won't be able to see you.
- : join without your camera or microphone activated. You will still be able to view the roster, send and receive chat messages, and send and receive presentations, and (if you are a Host) control the conference. However you won't be able to see or hear other participants, and they won't be able to see or hear you. When using this mode you can activate your microphone or camera at any point after joining, by using the buttons at the bottom of the main window.
Check your microphone, camera and speakers and select
If you always use the same camera, microphone and speakers, and you always want to join calls in full audio and video mode, you can skip this step in future by either selecting Don't show me these options again, or going to the page and clearing the Show camera/microphone options when connecting checkbox.
- If the conference is PIN-protected, you may be prompted to select whether to join as a Host or Guest, or asked to enter an appropriate PIN. When you have done so, select .
After a few moments you will be connected to the conference.
To share PDFs and images from your computer with other conference participants, select and then select the files you want to share.
To share either your entire screen or a particular window, select .
You can set the frame rate to use when sharing your screen. A lower frame rate will result in sharper images and is best for static presentations; a higher frame rate will be less sharp and is best for content where there is more motion.
The table below shows the different icons or "badges" that can appear on participants' avatars, and their meanings.
|A call is being placed to the participant and they have yet to answer.|
|The participant is waiting to join the conference.|
|The participant is a streaming or recording device.|
|The participant is currently speaking.|
|The participant is muted.|
|The participant is presenting content.|