Applying user records
User records can be used to support the use of two features within Pexip Infinity: participant avatars and scheduling meetings in personal VMRs.
User records can be created manually ( ), or they can be generated from directory information contained in an AD/LDAP server via Pexip's provisioning mechanism ( ).
User records and participant avatars
You can configure user records to represent those participants/contacts and associate each user with an avatar URL that points to an external service (such as Gravatar) which can be used to retrieve that user's avatar/image.
When using avatars, in addition to creating the user record, you must also set up and enable an Avatar policy ( ).
When viewing participants' avatars within a conference:
- For a participant's avatar to be requested and available for display, that participant's device must be registered to Pexip Infinity (any device type or protocol).
- If the participant joins as audio-only, their avatar is displayed to all of the video participants in the conference.
- Connect app users can see a participant's avatar via the participant list tab in the side panel and using the option.
Setting up user records and avatar URLs
When configuring end users and their associated avatars, there are two main attributes of each user record to consider:
- Email address: the user's Email address is used as the primary identifier of each user record. When attempting to retrieve a user's avatar, the system locates the relevant user record (and thus the user's avatar URL) by finding the user Email address that matches the Owner's email address associated with the device alias of the conference participant. We recommend using LDAP sync templates to provision the device and user records as this will ensure that a matching email address is used.
Avatar URL: this is the link to where the avatar can be requested:
- The avatar URL must be an unprotected resource (username and password credentials cannot be supplied with the request), and it must be reachable from Conferencing Nodes.
- The image retrieved from the avatar URL must be a JPEG.
- When a Conferencing Node sends an image request to the avatar URL, Pexip Infinity adds on extra URL parameters that specify the required dimensions, for example ?width=100&height=100&s=100 (the s is a size parameter used by Gravatar). Pexip Infinity only ever requests square images.
All JPEG images must use the RGB or RGBA color space (CMYK is not supported), and be of the requested size (width, height).
The following example diagram shows the relationship between participant aliases, device aliases and user records when obtaining an avatar URL:
To configure user records and avatar URLs:
Set up a policy profile with local avatar configuration enabled:
- Go to and create a profile (or modify an existing profile).
- In the Avatar policy section, enable Use local avatar configuration.
- Save the policy profile.
- Assign the policy profile to your locations ( ).
Configure user records and their associated avatar URLs:
- You can bulk provision the user records from directory information contained in a Windows Active Directory LDAP server, or any other LDAP-accessible database, or
- You can manually configure user records (see below).
Note that other user attributes can also be configured (such as names and contact numbers) but these are not currently used within Pexip Infinity.
User records and personal VMR scheduling
Pexip Infinity's VMR Scheduling for Exchange feature can offer users the ability to schedule meetings in their own personal VMRs. This feature requires users to sign in to an Outlook add-in using their SSO email address, and requires Pexip Infinity to be configured with both:
- a user record with an Email address that matches the user's SSO email address (usually the user record will already exist, but you can configure this feature to create the required user record if required, in which case the User origin will display the name of the associated VMR scheduling for Exchange integration), and
- at least one VMR with an Owner's email address that matches the user's SSO email address.
Manually configuring user records
To manually configure the user records, go to. The full set of options are:
The email address of the user.
If you wish to use Personal VMRs, this must be the user's SSO email address.
|Description||The description of the user.|
|First name||The first name of the user.|
|Last name||The last name of the user.|
The display name of the user.
Note that the display name is not currently used in Pexip Infinity (for example, it does not affect participant name overlays and cannot be used when provisioning Connect apps).
|Telephone number||The telephone number of the user.|
|Mobile number||The mobile number of the user.|
|Title||The job title of the user.|
|Department||The department of the user.|
|Avatar URL||The avatar URL of the user.|
The unique identifier (UUID) of the user.
This field is required and must be unique for each user and must be in a UUID format. Therefore it is strongly recommended to use the generated default value.
|Exchange mailbox UUID||The unique identifier of the user's Exchange Mailbox. This field is not required but if included it must be in a UUID format and be unique for each user.|
This field is read-only.