Installing the Management Node
— Hyper-V hypervisors
Installation of the Management Node is a two-step process:
Deploying the VM template: this creates a new unconfigured instance of a generic Management Node VM.
The process for deploying the template in a Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor environment is described below.
- Running the installation wizard: after deploying the Management Node template, the installation wizard allows you to enter the basic configuration details for your Management Node VM.
To deploy a new instance of a Pexip Infinity Management Node using Hyper‑V:
- Download the Pexip Infinity ZIP file (Pexip_Infinity_v14_HyperV_pxMgr_<build>.zip) from www.pexip.com/software-download, and extract the files.
- Log in to Hyper‑V.
- Right-click on the host server and select
This will start the Import Virtual Machine wizard.
- On the
You will be taken to the page.
page, to the folder containing the extracted files and select .
- The wizard will automatically detect the folder and file containing the Management Node VM. Confirm that this is correct and select .
You will be taken to the .
- Select the type of import most appropriate for your environment (if you are unsure, select Restore the virtual machine). Select .
- Depending on the import type you have chosen, you may be asked for further information. Follow the prompts as required.
When the setup is complete, you will be taken to the page.
- Review the summary and select .
When the Management Node VM has been created successfully, it will appear in the list of Virtual Machines.
Enabling automatic startup
By default, virtual machines deployed using Hyper-V are configured to restart automatically if they were running when the host server was shut down or powered off. We recommend that you leave this setting as is for the Management Node and all Conferencing Nodes.
To run the installation wizard, which configures the Management Node, you must open a console window on the Management Node VM.
- Log in to Hyper‑V.
- Start the new Management Node VM (if it is not already running).
- Right-click on the new Management Node VM and select .
Running the installation wizard
At the prompt, enter the username admin.
The display will read:
You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)
Enter new UNIX password:
- Create a password for the Management Node operating system by typing the password, pressing enter, retyping the password, and pressing enter again.
Ensure you record the password in a secure location. After you have finished running the installation wizard you will not need the password again unless you need to access the Management Node using SSH.
You are presented with another login prompt:
Running Pexip installation wizard...
[sudo] password for admin:
Log in again with the password you just created.
The Pexip installation wizard will begin.
Follow the prompts to set the following configuration for the Management Node.
If you press enter, the default value will be applied:
Setting Default value Multiple entries allowed? Can be changed via Pexip Infinity Administrator interface? IP address 192.168.0.100 No No ‡ Network mask 255.255.255.0 No No ‡ Gateway 192.168.0.1 No No ‡ Hostname <no default> No No ‡ Domain suffix <no default> No No ‡ DNS servers 188.8.131.52 Yes, if separated by a space Yes NTP servers †
Two of the following:
Yes, if separated by a space Yes Web administration username admin No No ‡ Web administration password <no default> No Yes Enable incident reporting (yes/no) <no default> Yes Send deployment and usage statistics to Pexip (yes/no) <no default> Yes
† The NTP server must be accessible by the Management Node at the time the startup wizard is run. Installation will fail if the Management Node is unable to synchronize its time with an NTP server.
‡ After they have been configured, do not attempt to change these settings by any other means.
To change these settings on server-based deployments, you must re-run the installation wizard.
The installation will begin and the Management Node will restart using the values you have configured.
After you have run the installation wizard, you must perform some preliminary configuration before you can then deploy a Conferencing Node. See Initial platform configuration - Hyper-V for more information.